In life we go through chapters where we learn about ourselves and about life. Being married isn’t just a chapter, it’s a whole book documenting the rest of my life. I have not been married very long (just over 2 years) but these are my top ten lessons I have learned:
1. “Sorry” gets said A LOT.
2. Sharing is not always easy.
3. Definitions and interpretations of LOVE will often differ.
4. Family is your life, everything else is just background noise. Keep perspective.
5. No matter what, be yourself.
6. Men do not change, but women do.
7. Do whatever makes you happy. If I am happy, then my husband is too.
8. Balance between self/mother/wife feels impossible yet crucial for sanity.
9. Now that I have someone, I can’t be without him because we BELONG together.
10. It feels like it was always this way: my husband, me and our son. We were just apart for a short while but now we are together forever. X
Everyone has an idea of their dream home, including me. So far, my favorite house I’ve ever seen is the big one in the movie Italian Job. I want privacy and lots of stone and greenery. On the inside I want a door to my kitchen. A separate laundry room in the finished basement. Wood floors. Lots of closets full of fluffy blankets, soft bed linens and colorful quilts. Table cloths for every occasion. Christmas curtains. Fresh herbs lined on my kitchen window sill. An island in the kitchen. A pantry full of shelves stacked with my favorite foods and a freezer full of meat and ice cream. A cupboard devoted to chocolate only. I want a room that branches off from the master suite that is for personal pleasure, a hide-away. I want a dining room and table big enough to host 20 people. I want a chair for my husband that can be his and a chair for me that is mine. And a loveseat to cuddle. For my kids I want a play room where they can get really creative and a backyard they can be active. A tree with a swing. A backporch and a front porch to chill out. It sounds like a lot but I know it is out there and I hope one day this dream can come true.